The Subaru Forester is a compact crossover SUV that has been manufactured since 1997. This Japanese made SUV is one of the first crossovers of its kind and went for a more car-like look, which is implied in its slogan, “SUV tough, Car Easy“. The first generation had a low enough center of gravity that there was no risk of rollover warning required, which was a great boost to its safety rating.
The second generation in 2002 came with many fine-tuned improvements that the markets appreciated. It featured many weight lowering refinements and a new safety rating of 5 stars for its MY05 Forester Model.
The third generation rolled out strong with new looks that leaned more into the crossover SUV category than their car angle. They added a lot of current tech to keep up with competitors, such as a sportshift mode, which was added to the four-speed computer-controlled automatic transmission.
Jumping ahead to its current generation, there are more features and more trims to choose from. Each edition is fitted with Subaru’s new FB25 DI engine, which is described as non-turbo, direct injection flat (boxer) 4 cylinder producing 182 hp (136 kW) at 5800 rpm and 176 lb⋅ft (239 N⋅m) at 4400 rpm. The Subaru Forester continues to be a gem in the SUV crossover market, and the automotive world waits to see what they will do next.
Subaru Forester Awards and Recognitions
The Subaru Forester has won the following awards over the years thanks to it’s high safety rating and reliability.
- Winner of Wheels Gold Star cars award for best compact SUV 2008
- Winner of Motor Trend magazine’s Sport / Utility of the Year Award in 2009
- Best Small Utility in MotorWeek’s 2009 Driver’s Choice Awards
- Winner of Motor Trend Magazine’s SUV of the Year Award in 2014
- Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Top Safety Pick
- Honored as AJAC’s 2017 Canadian Utility Vehicle of the Year
Subaru Forester Historical Sales in U.S.
Below are the sales figures listed by year in the United States for the Subaru Forester. The increasing number of purchases indicates that Subaru customers are happy with their product and continue to purchase the latest models.
Celebrities Who Drive a Subaru
With how safe and durable a Subaru is, there is no reason to not believe that even big names would want one.
- Joel McHale
- Zac Galifianakis
- Warren Buffett
- Travis Pastrana
Subaru Foresters and High Mileage
It’s no secret that the Subaru Forester is a powerhouse that has the durability that is required for most high mileage vehicles. You can find plenty of examples on the Internet of the Subaru that Forbes says can easily handle over 250,000 miles. It ranks at number 5 out of all vehicles through numerous polls and analysis giving the spot much deserved credit.
One man was able to log in an incredible 1 million kilometres on his Subaru Forester. He bought it in 1998 and accredited it to routine maintenance, buying Subaru brand parts, and leaving installations to professionals. Another man has reported 300,000 miles on his own Subaru Forester which is an incredibly impressive feat as well. If you take care of your vehicle and follow the advice of those who have reached these milestones, your Subaru Forester will have no problem lasting you a very long time.
Caring for Your Subaru Forester
When you invest in a great vehicle like the Subaru Forester, it is important to take care of it to ensure you get as much mileage with as few repairs as possible. Below are some tips for taking care of your vehicle:
- Get your oil and other fluids changed regularly. Follow your manufacturer recommendations at minimum. As a rule of thumb, most vehicles require an oil change every 5,000 miles. The oil change service appointment is also an excellent time to have your Subaru vehicle thoroughly inspected.
- Have your vehicle regularly inspected. You or your mechanic should be looking for worn or dirty parts that may need to be replaced, fixed or cleaned.
- Keep your vehicle clean. This includes the inside and outside of your vehicle. Regularly maintaining the cleanliness of your vehicle can reduce debris from causing damage to parts.
- Drive gently. Driving erratically or too aggressively can put wear and tear on your tires, brakes, cylinders and all other engine parts. Accelerate and brake at a slow and steady pace.
- Pay attention to any vehicle abnormalities. Even with proper care and maintenance, the occasional hiccup can happen. If your vehicle is making strange sounds, has any leaks or has an error code or check engine light on, then it’s important to get it inspected right away to avoid any possible further damage to your engine.
Subaru Forester Error Codes
As with all cars manufactured after 1996, the Subaru Forester follows OBD2 protocols for diagnostics. Understanding what these error codes mean could save you a lot of time and money at the mechanic. Below are some common OBD2 error codes and what they could mean for your Subaru Forester. Luckily, most of these can be detected early or prevented with proper care and maintenance of your vehicle, as detailed above.
- P0301 to P0304: Cylinder Misfire Detected. The last digit correlates to the cylinder that is misfiring.
- P0171: Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
- P0172: Fuel System Rich – Bank 1
- P0420: Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold
Forester Cylinder Heads
Cars that have older models that date back to 2004 and 2005, such as the Subaru Forester, need regular checks to make sure everything is running in order. If you are having issues with your engine or cylinders, then this could be due to a cracked cylinder head. Please note that a cracked cylinder head can lead to fluid leaks and other serious engine issues. Clearwater Cylinder Head has plenty of replacement options for different Subaru models to check out, such as this head or this head. With pages of options online, you will find what you need when searching for a new cylinder head for your beloved Subaru vehicle.
Subaru Cylinder Head Experts
As an owner of an older model of a Subaru Forester, you may be running into problems concerning its cylinder head. Clearwater Cylinder Head Inc. would be more than happy to assist you and get you back on the road with our selection of quality replacements. With over 25 years of experience and a massive catalog of heads, Clearwater Cylinder Heads is your best choice for replacement heads. We are dedicated to providing professional and friendly support. Feel free to call us toll-free at 1-800-572-1963.